Thursday, October 4, 2012

DIY Makeup Brush Holder

Just imagine a bathroom counter cluttered with makeup, makeup brushes and more beauty products strewn all over the place like a violent tornado came barreling through. This is the best description I can give you without actually posting a picture, quite frankly it'd be too embarrassing!
If your bathroom counter looks anything like mine, you might want to keep reading!
I'll show you how to make a makeup brush holder to help you clean up a little clutter and organize your brushes!
What You'll Need:
1 Starbucks Glass Frappuccino Bottle (I used the 13.7oz bottle, but the smaller one is more ideal)
Acrylic Paint or Spray Paint (in your choice of color)
A Paint Brush or Spongy Brush (only if you're using acrylic paint)
Old Newspaper
Scissors (to cut ribbon)
Decorative Ribbon (for the bow)
Goo Gone (to get rid of the stickiness left by the stickers) 


1) Take sticker labels off the bottle and remove any excess stickiness with goo gone.  

2) Wash the inside and outside of the bottle, making sure to thoroughly rinse and dry.

3) IF using spray paint (which I suggest), go outside and paint the bottle, making sure to set newspaper down so you don't turn the yard any color but green! I'd suggest painting one layer, letting it dry and then painting a second coat.

4) IF using acrylic paint (this is what I used, only because it had been raining for days, so there was no way to spray paint outside) you'll need to apply quite a few coats, until desired opaqueness and color. Also don't forget to put down newspaper so you don't get paint everywhere.

5) Make sure to let it completely dry.

6) To spruce it up a bit, I added a bow. Just take your favorite ribbon and tie it in a bow around the top! 

7) Optional. Since I used the bigger bottle, I needed to fill it with something, so the brushes would sit high enough to not fall all the way in the bottle. (I used packing peanuts because I didn't have rice, but I suggest using rice if you can.)

8) Finally, put your brushes in their new home and presto! 
Final Thoughts: if I did this again, which I probably will, I'll use spray paint (for a glossy, smooth finish), use the smaller frappuccino bottle and fill with rice!
I hope you enjoyed this DIY tutorial and if you end up making one, feel free to send me a picture, I'd love to see how yours turns out!
-Making counters less cluttered, and giving beloved makeup brushes a safe home! -Alyssa.

2 comments:

  1. Too CUTE! What a great idea... and yes, that was the perfect description of what my makeup counter looks like! lol :) I love your blog!!

    Kisses,
    Isabelle <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Isabelle! I'm glad you love my blog and happy to know that I'm not alone in my makeup counter messiness!

      -Alyssa

      Delete